Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Lemon Pok Chops with Mustard Sauce

I've pulled out all my old cookbooks and I'm determined to use them for my menu planning.

Much as I love having the internet at my disposal and knowing that I can just do a quick search, I feel that we're losing ourselves along the way, and the wonderful old cookbooks we love are just sitting on a shelf, collecting dust.

Lemon Pork Chops

So, I'm done with that business.  I've already disconnected from Facebook, and now the next step is to use mostly cookbooks for our meals, with one or two online recipes once in a while.

The first cookbook I grabbed from my pile was my much loved Best of Cooking in South Africa.  Reminds me of home and is filled with gorgeous pictures and delicious recipes.

Not to mention, it's making me go back to cooking with grams and millilitres, which is how I learned to begin with.

Right, now onto the first recipe I'm making.....


2013_02040043

Lemon Pork Chops with Mustard Sauce


1 pound pork chops
1 teaspoon of dried sage
1 and half cup breadcrumbs
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup buttermilk or yogurt
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 and a half tablespoons lemon juice

Mustard Sauce
1 cup of milk
1 egg yolk
2 teaspoons dry mustard
4 teaspoons flour
2 teaspoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
pinch of salt
small knob of butter (pat of butter)


Remove rind and most of the fat from the chops.  Crush sage between fingers after measuring and mix with crumbs and salt.  Mix yogurt, mayonnaise and lemon juice.   Dip chops into yogurt mixture, then into crumbs and chill for 2 to 3 hours.

To bake, preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Lightly oil base of large baking dish, heat for a few minutes, then arrange chops in single layer, turning once.  Cover and bake for 1 hour, then uncover and bake for 30 minutes more.

2013_02040042

For the sauce, put all ingredients, except butter, into the top of a double boiler, whisk well and then stir over simmering water until thick and smooth.  Finally, stir in butter.
Serves about 6.


4 comments:

  1. I remember my mother making something similar to this, though not the same, and it didn't have that delicious sounding mustard sauce. I remember her making baked pork chops that she brushed with a mayonnaise mixture before rolling in a breading or crumb crust. This sounds definitely like a must try as I can see my family enjoying this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the cookbook idea, it's just not the same, a picture on the screen, on a page, it looks much more yummy and inspiring...and I love curling up on the couch with a new cookbook(usually from the library), in hand...you can learn a lot that way!It also makes me get up and cook, even if I don't follow the recipe exactly, just the inspiration is half the fun..Thanks for the recipe, and also, so glad you are enjoying life to the fullest :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My gkids LOVE pork chops, and since I am trying to teach them to cook...this looks like one we could do. I have a lot of my own gma's recipes and old cookbooks that I try to update and keep healthy, and this is a good addition! Thanks for sharing. Come visit me too: http://cookingwnana.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is funny you say about coming of Facebook . I have done so for lent. And using my FB time reading Gods word far more healthy.
    I will be sadly leaving the marriage home soon as my ex had affairs and now we have Ro sell I amso sad about it especially as I have had to downsize all my stuff.
    One area that has suffered is my cookery book shelves, I have literally kept my Jamie oliver collection of ten books one USA book and that's it

    ReplyDelete