Saturday, January 12, 2013

Patty Melt

Patty Melt

Oh do I love a good patty melt, but I don't get to have it that often, actually only one place I know of around here makes them, and that's Freddy's.

I've always wanted to make them myself, but there are so many varied opinions out there on what constitutes a real patty melt and what kind of bread it should and shouldn't have, and the cheese.....oh the cheese, it has to be swiss, no it has to be cheddar, no no it HAS to be american.

Varying opinions, so I shied away from making these. While browsing the Saveur magazine I came across a recipe for the Patty Melt, and decided to just go for it and make using the bread I wanted the cheese I wanted and even the butter I wanted.

What resulted was a delicious patty melt that made me ooooohhhhh.

For the original recipe go to Saveur.

Patty Melt

Patty Melt
Adapted from:  Saveur
Makes 6 sandwiches

1½ lbs. ground beef
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
5 tbsp. canola oil
2 yellow onions, halved and thinly sliced
12 slices Texas Toast bread
12 thin slices American cheese
8 tbsp. Challenge Tuscan Style Butter


1. Season the beef with salt and pepper. Divide meat into six ¼"-thick patties that are slightly wider and longer than the bread.

2. Heat 2 tbsp. oil in a 12" cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and browned, about 12 minutes.

Patty Melt

Transfer the onions to a bowl; wipe out skillet. Working in 3 batches, heat 1 tbsp. oil in skillet over high heat. Add 2 burger patties; cook, flipping once, until well browned, about 4 minutes total. Transfer patties to a plate.

Patty Melt

3. Top each of 6 bread slices with some of the onions, a cheese slice, and a burger patty. Top each burger with a cheese slice and a piece of bread. Using a table knife, spread butter over the top and bottom of each sandwich.

Patty Melt

4. Heat a 12" nonstick skillet over medium heat. Working in 3 batches, cook sandwiches, flipping once, until golden brown and hot, about 6 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Oh My! This looks delicious. My Mom used to make the best Patty Melts. I haven't had one in years.

    ReplyDelete