Saturday, September 08, 2012

Bourbon Chicken

We love Chinese food, love love love it.

I'm slowly getting a  stash of these favorites that I can make at home.  This one I hadn't tried yet but had the recipe sitting around for a long time, and getting a big craving for some Chinese food yesterday I thought it was the perfect time to make it.

It's so good, tastes just like the Bourbon Chicken you get at Chinese take outs.

Bourbon Chicken

Bourbon Chicken

2 pounds boneless chicken breasts; cut into bite-size pieces
1 tablespoon olive oil; (1-2)
1 garlic clove; crushed
1/4 teaspoon ginger
3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 cup apple juice
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon cornstarch


Combine garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes, apple juice, brown sugar, ketchup, cider vinegar, water, soy sauce and cornstarch in a big bowl.

Bourbon Chicken

Add chicken to the bowl and give it a good stir to coat. Scoop chicken out onto a skillet to which you've added the olive oil.

Cook until lightly browned. Remove chicken.

Bourbon Chicken

Add mixture from the bowl, heating over medium heat until well blended and dissolved. Add chicken and bring to a hard boil.

Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes uncovered. Serve over hot rice.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! All of your recipes sound and look delicious! I will have to try some of them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this was absolutely delish!
    I subbed chicken broth for the apple juice and added sautéed mushrooms to it.

    thanks for another winner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. just another high five to you, Sandra. This is so great. It's my go-to meal for taking to new moms and today I'm bringing it to a friend who sprained both of her ankles and homeschools her kids. THanks again for posting great recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this last night and the Mr told me it was definitely a keeper! It was so yummy my picky eaters ate it and had seconds.

    ReplyDelete