Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Portuguese Chicken Spaghetti

I know that when some think of Chicken Spaghetti, they are thinking of cream of something soups and peppers and other stuff like that....but this nothing like it.

Galinha com Espargete

This recipe takes me right back to my childhood.  I can just remember hearing my dad or stepmom yell out "COMER".  Which means "EAT".  That was the signal sent out to every household member to make their way to the dining table.  And when I say every member, trust me, I mean like 12, 13, 14 people.

We're Portuguese, eating is one of our favorite things, and sitting around a huge table with family sharing a good meal, a glass of wine and conversation is one of my fondest childhood memories.  (Wine wasn't for me obviously lol).

Anyway, I'm sure everyone has their way of making this dish...but this is how I prepare mine.

Galinha com Espargete

Portuguese Chicken Spaghetti


1 lb chicken thighs, skin removed and cut into bite size chunks (you can use breasts as well, or chicken legs, or even a whole chicken, up to you)
Olive oil
Garlic
Small onion, diced

salt and pepper
Small can of tomato sauce
Carrots, sliced
Spaghetti (enough for your family, I usually make about half of a package)



In a pot, add a little bit of olive oil.  I don't measure anything when I cook, but I guess about a tablespoon or so.  Add the garlic and the onion and cook on low heat until the onion is transparent.

Add the chicken pieces, season with salt and pepper.  Add the can of tomato sauce and some sliced carrots and cook over medium heat until chicken is cooked completely, and carrots are tender.  Make sure to give it a stir once in a while and keep adding a little water so it doesn't stick or burn.

When chicken is cooked, add in about 2 cups of water, and in goes your spaghetti.  Give it a good stir and check on it often until spaghetti is cooked to your liking.  If it's too watery, just pop the lid on and let it cook for a few minutes longer to absorb some of the liquid.

That's it.  Simple but my kids LOVE this stuff :)

Galinha com Espargete

1 comment:

  1. Love this recipe!! My Mom always made a very similar recipe, she just did not put carrots in it. I have always made my Mom's but will try yours next time.
    Take care,
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete