Friday, August 12, 2011

Sausage Gravy

After a few of you asked me what recipe I use for the gravy, I realized that I don’t think I have one up on the blog yet and THAT must be remedied right??

When I’m in a hurry or in a pinch, I usually grab the little packet mix of country gravy, I know it’s not homemade but we really like that gravy and the sausage one too.

If I have time and I want to do a special breakfast, then I make my own and honestly, it’s so easy to make and I’m a huge believer in that everything homemade is hundred times better than store bought.
This recipe is one I’ve been using for many years and I honestly don’t remember how I came across it, it may have been in a cookbook or a magazine, one of those.

Buttermilk Biscuits

Sausage Gravy for Biscuits

Ingredients
• ½ pound ground breakfast sausage.
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 4 tablespoons all purpose flour
• 3 cups cold milk
• Salt and pepper to taste

Directions
Sauté the sausage until it is cooked and has released as much of its fat as possible. Remove the sausage with a slotted spoon and do NOT drain the grease. You’ll need it to make the roux.

You should have about 2 tablespoons of rendered pork fat. Add the butter and melt it. Then add the flour a little at a time over medium heat, constantly whisking. Cook for about 2-3 minutes.

Start adding the cold milk a little at a time, whisking constantly. When you’ve added all the milk, add in the sausage, keep stirring until it reaches the consistency you want. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Easy peasy :)


© 2006 - 2012 Full Bellies, Happy Kids - All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment