Sunday, May 31, 2009

Easy Bread

One thing I've learned over the years of being married, is that when we run out of bread, there is no need to panic or rush out and buy more. 

2009_05310064 

You can make your own using staples that we all have in our pantries, it's so easy and believe me, SO much better than store bought. This one takes a little bit of time, so you have to plan ahead because it has to sit overnight. 

2009_05310053

EASY BREAD
 
1 1/2 c. water 
3 c. flour 
1/4 tsp. yeast 
2 tsp. salt 
 
Mix all ingredients in a big bowl until all the ingredients are wet, that's it. Once that is done, cover with plastic wrap and let sit overnight. Next day, sprinkle flour on the counter, put the dough on the flour and sprinkle a little on top, stretch it in one direction then fold it in thirds, gentle.....stretch in the other direction, fold in thirds again then roll it over. 
 
Gently shape it into a ball, put in a greased pie plate, spray with a bit of oil, dust with a little of flour and cover with plastic wrap, let it rise for 2 hours. After 2 hours, place another pie plate at the bottom of the oven, fill with ice cubes, it will create steam which will help the bread cook, bake bread for 10 minutes at 500 F, then turn heat down to 450 for another 10 minutes, then turn down to 350 for another 10 minutes. 
 
What I like to do at the end of the cooking time, is to remove the bread from the pie plate and place it directly on the oven rack (or you can put a piece of foil down and place it on there), then let it cook for a little longer until the bottom of the bread gets nice and brown too. Once done, place bread on a cooling rack and let it cool for a few minutes before slicing. 
 
2009_05310050

18 comments:

  1. Is it really supposed to have salt listed in the ingredients twice? I'm confused.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, when do you put the ice filled pie plate in the oven? In the beginning or when you turn it down to 350°.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kylee - I edited the post, sorry about that, the first one is yeast.

    Annie - I edited the post too, thanks for letting me know. You add the ice right in the beginning when you put in the bread.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to make this. It sounds so easy. And looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to try this soon! It looks wonderful and sounds easy to make.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh gosh Sandra, that looks soooo good! I could really go for some of that. I am hopeless at making bread myself, but I might be able to manage this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! I am going to have to try this bread recipe. I make bread quite often but have not tried the artisan type bread. My oven ailment burnt out last night, going to have to get that replaced first. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds great! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is the water suppose to be warm when you add the yeast? Just curious...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beverly - No, it does not have to be warm.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Sandra this sounds super yummy! can't wait to try it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum!!! I'm going to make this....

    Do you think it could be made with part wheat flour?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've tried baking bread 3 times...and have pretty much given up. I'll give this a try. Looks pretty much fool-proof.

    Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can I substitue the yeast for fast rising yeast?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Interested, too, to know if you can make it with part whole-wheat flour?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Portuguese Bread bag with a rooster perhaps???? Is that what is holding the bread? Memories! I used to run down to the bakery with the bag every week.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks good. Question - where do you let the dough rise overnight? Put in refrig or leave out??

    ReplyDelete