Friday, May 22, 2009

Dixie Fried Chicken

Curt loves fried chicken but I don't make it very often, it's time consuming and one of those meals that you have to sit there and overlook constantly. 

Needless to say, unless it's a weekend or vacation time, I don't make it that much. BUT, today is Curt's birthday so I thought it was the right time to make him this special meal. He loves this chicken and says it's better than KFC. I'm sure it's not, but I love him for saying it :) 

2009_05220021

DIXIE FRIED CHICKEN

 

2 1/2 lbs assorted chicken pieces 
1/2 t. salt 
1/2 t. freshly ground black pepper 
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour 
1 t. ground red pepper 
1 egg, lightly beaten 
1/3 c. milk 
vegetable oil 
 

 
Season chicken with salt and pepper. 
 
2009_05220001 
 
Combine flour and red pepper; set aside. 
 
2009_05220004 
 
Combine egg and milk; dip chicken in egg mixture and dredge in flour mixture, coating chicken well. Pour oil to a depth of one inch in a heavy big skillet and heat to 350 degrees. 
 
Fry the chicken in hot oil over medium heat 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown, turning occasionally. 
 
2009_05220008 
 
Remove small pieces earlier if necessary, to avoid overbrowning. 
 
Drain chicken on paper towels. Serves 4. 
 
2009_05220023

5 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to your husband! Your chicken sure looks a thousand times better than KFC so it has be tasty too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it just has to be better than KFC. Happy Birthday to your husband. I am sure he really appreciates the special efforts you make to cook delicious meals for your family! That chicken looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh this LOOKS even better than KFC too! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'm gonna make this for a picnic on Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just last week my mom was all "I wish I knew how to make fried chicken." So I'm gonna have to save this and try it out. I'll let you know how it comes out :)

    ReplyDelete