Friday, June 20, 2008

Bife Trinchado - Portuguese Steak

If you have ever been to a portuguese restaurant, you will know that one of the things on the menu is usually the "Trinchado" which is a steak cut into cubes, served with this really yummy gravy and surrounded by homemade fries. It's delicious!

This is how I make mine, you'll see that it's not hard at all and your family will love you for it.



BIFE TRINCHADO

1 lb cubed beef (I used eye round steak and cut it into cubes)
3 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
white wine
crushed garlic
bay leaf
salt and pepper
paprika
flour
1 medium onion sliced thinly
Homemade Fries

In a bowl combine the beef, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, bay leaf, wine, salt and pepper and paprika. Place in the refrigerator for an hour or two so the flavors can really sink into the meat. The best way is to leave it overnight, the longer you leave the marinade, the better it tastes and the more tender the beef will become.

In a skillet, add some olive oil and a little butter. Grab the steak out of the refrigerator, add some flour and using your hands toss well to coat the beef. Pour into the skillet!

Brown the beef well on both sides, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the beef cubes and reduce heat. Add the sliced onions and some more olive oil and butter. I usually keep some water next to me and add a little at a time, just enough to keep a good amount of sauce in the skillet.

Cook the onions until soft, then add the beef to the pan again, mix well and let simmer for about 20 minutes. Remember to keep checking the pan and adding a little water, you want to end up with a lot of sauce.

Ladle a good amount of beef and gravy into a plate, lay the fries around the meat and serve immediately.

***********************************************

In a bowl combine the beef, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, bay leaf, wine, salt and pepper and paprika.....then place in the refrigerator

In a skillet, add some olive oil and a little butter.

Toss the beef mixture with some flour to coat well


In the meantime fry up some homemade fries (yes I know it's not in the recipe but just go with it lol)

Now I'm going off track a bit here but I need to show you this. See that cute little jar above? I brought that back from South Africa with me, from my dad's coffee shop Kanimambo. It's chili sauce made by the mozambican chef with chilies from Mozambique and let me tell you......WOWEE that thing is HOT.

I am showing you this because I added a few drops to the meat, not too much or the kids wouldn't eat it, but just enough to give it a little zing.

Mmmmmmm that meat is looking good already

After browning the beef, remove them from the pan

Add in the sliced onions

Add a little more olive oil and butter.....you may need a little water too at this point, not too much though

Simmer for about 20 minutes, just remember to keep checking and stirring to make sure it doesn't stick and there's enough sauce



And there you have it. That's how you serve the Trinchado.

ENJOY!

3 comments:

  1. I just made this the other day and it was so GOOD! I left the butter out - I have dairy issues, but still DELICIOUS and I put the recipe in my binder. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sandra
    Thank you for sharing the Trinchado recipe - it looks fabulous! I'm goig to make it for lunch tomorrow.
    Regards
    from Marie in South Africa!!

    ReplyDelete