Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Galinha no Forno com Arroz (Portuguese Chicken & Rice)

Many of you requested the recipe, so I'm sharing it today. Like I said before, this is one of my younger brother's favorite chicken dish, it does take a bit of time to make, or rather, there's a few steps involved, but the result is worth it. 

 

 

PORTUGUESE CHICKEN AND RICE 
 
1 whole chicken, cut up  
1 medium onion, cut into chunks  
5 slices of bacon  
3 cups of water  
1 1/2 cups of rice  
1 chicken Bouillon cube  
1 bay leaf 
salt and pepper to taste 
 
  For the mixture that is going to be rubbed on the chicken: 
olive oil  
margarine  
paprika  
salt and pepper  
crushed garlic 
 
 
In a large pot add the water, chicken, onion, bouillon cubes, bay leaf and bacon. Cook for about 25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken, onion and bacon, add the rice to the broth and cook for 20 minutes or until rice is done. Spray a 13 x 9 inc. baking dish with nonstick spray. 
 
Spoon the rice into the dish. In a separate bowl, combine the olive oil, margarine, paprika, salt and pepper and crushed garlic. (I don't measure, I just eyeball it to create a paste).....
 
Rub the cooked chicken with the paste making sure to cover all of it....arrange the chicken over the rice, arrange the bacon and onion around the chicken. 
 
Place in oven at 375º for about 20 minutes or until everything is heated through and the chicken is looking golden brown. 
 
ENJOY!!! As always, if you try one of the recipes, let me know how it went I would love to know if you enjoyed it or NOT and if there is something you don't understand or doesn't make sense, just let me know ok??? 
 
PS....I will post a pic of the chicken when I make it tonight.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I will have to give this a try. Sounds like it would be moist and tender. Love the combination of bacon and chicken together! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so good, Sandra. It's been ages since I've had time to visit your food blog so I'm hoping to come back and do some looking around this weekend. I've tried several of your recipes in the past (as you know) and every single one of them has been a great success.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm I am soo gonna try this! I just wrote everything down, and am going to go buy the ingredients today!!!

    ReplyDelete